Monday, June 13, 2011

Don't judge a cover by its book.

Titles are something that fascinates me. Perhaps it's a sign of laziness but I sometimes prefer to name art and projects rather than produce them. So although I am not a member of any band or currently perform or record music, I've already given my second album the title 'God sleeps better naked'. My next novel [which I have no intention to write] is entitled 'The hand that strokes the kidney'. I also tend to like the titles of books and films based only on their titles, 'The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension' being a case in point.

So with that I mind, recently I've using books and their titles as the starting point for a series of drawings. Using books from op-shops and second hand bookstores I make drawings on their covers based on their titles. Below are 'The Snow People' and The Black Spectacles'. I've got a whole stack that I'm working through so look forward to 'Approaching Priests', 'BABIES NEED BOOKS' and my favorite 'Future Youth: How to reverse the aging process'.


1 comment:

Amy Devereux said...

so good... these can be seen in real life at Brunswick St Gallery in the Small Works show, opening June 17th at 6pm